Wednesday, January 12, 2011

01-12-11 Journal Notes

Going deeper on 2 Peter 3:7!
"But by the same word, the heavens and earth that now exist are stored up for fire; being kept for the day of judgement and destruction of the ungodly."

Questions:
Whose/what word?
God's Decree! By the same power with which He spoke creation into existence, He spoke the flood's destruction, and will one day, speak a firey judgement upon this earth, and those on it who have rejected His Lordship will perish.

Word Studies:

Word ~ log'os ~ The Divine expression of God's reasonings, motives, computation, command.
Stored up~ θησαυρίζω~thay-sow-rid'-zo
From G2344; to amass or reserve (literally or figuratively): - lay up (treasure), (keep) in store, (heap) treasure (together, up).


Fire~πῦρ~poor
A primary word; “fire” (literally or figuratively, specifically lightning): - fiery, fire.


Judgement~κρίσις~kree'-sis
(Subjectively or objectively, for or against); by extension a tribunal; by implication justice (specifically divine law): - accusation, condemnation, damnation, judgment.


Destruction~ἀπώλεια~ap-o'-li-a
From a presumed derivative of G622; ruin or loss (physical, spiritual or eternal): - damnable (-nation), destruction, die, perdition, X perish, pernicious ways, waste.


Ungodly~ἀσεβής~as-eb-ace'
From G1 (as a negative particle) and a presumed derivative of G4576; irreverent, that is, (by extension) impious or wicked: - ungodly (man).

Cross References:
Psa 50:3 Our God comes; he does not keep silence; before him is a devouring fire, around him a mighty tempest.

Isa 51:6 Lift up your eyes to the heavens, and look at the earth beneath; for the heavens vanish like smoke, the earth will wear out like a garment, and they who dwell in it will die in like manner; but my salvation will be forever, and my righteousness will never be dismayed.

Prayer:

Dear Gracious and Good God!
You are holy - the All Powerful One! I am nothing,that you should be mindful of me, and yet here I sit, wallowing in the riches of Your parenthood and Lordship. You love me. I do not grasp this nor live in this as I should. Death is coming to all that is around me, but my hope is sure and steadfast because of Your convenant love and faithfulness. You are the Promise Keeper! I lift up my eyes to heaven - to what I know is coming, and I see the earth all around me through the grid of this truth. I am not dismayed, but excited for that day when I will see You face to face and know you, and finally be free - completely free of this sinful flesh. In that day I will praise you in perfection! You are worthy of all praise!
Give me a following heart this day, Lord, so that I can serve and worship you with my life!
Amen

No comments: