Thursday, January 13, 2011

Always, Equally, Ready to Fulfill His Promises

"But do not overlook this fact, beloved, that with the Lord, a day is as a thousand years, and a thousand years is as a day." 2 Peter 3:8

"In the infinity of his own duration there is abundant time (for God) to accomplish his designs, and it can make no difference with him whether they are accomplished in one day or extended to one thousand years. Man has but a short time to live, and if he does not accomplish his purposes in a very brief period, he never will. But it is not so with God. He always lives; and we cannot therefore infer, because the execution of His purposes seems to be delayed, that they are abandoned." ~ Barnes

Psa 90:4 For a thousand years in your sight are but as yesterday when it is past, or as a watch in the night.

"One day is with the Lord as a thousand years - That is, in one day, in one moment he can do the work of a thousand years. Therefore he "is not slow:" he is always equally ready to fulfill his promise. And a thousand years are as one day - That is, no delay is long to God. A thousand years are as one day to the eternal God. Therefore "he is longsuffering:" he gives us space for repentance, without any inconvenience to himself. In a word, with God time passes neither slower nor swifter than is suitable to him and his economy; nor can there be any reason why it should be necessary for him either to delay or hasten the end of all things. How can we comprehend this? If we could comprehend it, St. Peter needed not to have added, with the Lord." ~ Wesley

Word Study of "Ignorant":
G2990 λανθάνω lanthanō lan-than'-o
A prolonged form of a primary verb, which is used only as an alternate in certain tenses; to lie hid (literally or figuratively); often used adverbially unwittingly: - be hid, be ignorant of, unawares.



Evidences in me that I "overlook" (ESV) or "act in ignorance" of this truth regarding God's Infinite dealings with time.
1) Impatience manifested in complaining, hopelessness, apathy regarding my walk, or that of those around me.


2) Prayers that are dictated by my time table, rather than trust in His perfect work!
"He is always equally ready to fulfill His promises."

Oh Father, I have done this. I have overlooked the truth that you are Infinite and Perfect within time as you work out Your will. O God, there is none like you- Always Equally Ready! Forgive me for my attitudes of hopelessness and apathy in how I approach the unsaved people in my life. I have complained. I have despaired. I have been lazy in witnessing. I have been small in my faith. This is and has been sinful overlooking of Who You are. To know You, is to know the One Who is Always Equally Ready to work His perfect will.
This knowledge of you removes all fear and discouragement and instills trust. Teach me to dive even deeper into this truth; to bring my heart and mind and actions under the spotlight of your revealing truth that I might be changed. I desire, O God, to exalt You and Your glory in all things, including my perspective on Your time!
Amen




No comments: