Wednesday, November 02, 2011

Wednesday Scoop O'Soup

My Man's favorite. Heavy on the chicken, cooked-just-right egg noodles, in a spicy (thanks to Mom's secret added kick) steamy broth.  The first time Steve had this soup was during our dating days.  I was way far away (too far away) in Dallas, and he was sick here in Racine.  I petitioned my Mom to take care of him, and given the fact that he still requests "your mom's chicken noodle soup - you know - the one she brought me when I was sick" to this day, I'd say she did a good job of it. =)




"Your" Mom's Chicken Noodle Soup:

4-5 large frozen chicken breasts, cooked and cut into bite size pieces.
32 oz. Chicken broth.  My Mom makes her's by straining the chicken water and adding salt to taste.
  I like the Organic Free Range Chick Broth by Pacific Natural Foods.

2 C chopped celery
2C chopped carrots
1 C sweet yellow onion, diced.
AND.... here's Mom's secret... 1 Tbl Cayenne Pepper Hot Sauce.
(There is nothing like it on sore throats and swollen sinuses.)

1 16 oz Bag of Reames Frozen, Homemade Egg Noodles.  Freezer section at the market.

Add all ingredients, except the noodles, together in slow cooker on low (for all day), or in pot on the stove. 
Simmer until veggies are tender. 
This recipe can be prepared to this point and then frozen for ease in later use.

Add the egg noodles and continue to simmer for 20-25 minutes until cooked through. 
Serve hot, be filled, and feel better!

No comments: