Thursday, October 15, 2009

Wrought Upon By God

Some things about me:

I was dead in trespasses and sins and God, in His great love, made me alive together with Christ (Ephesians 2:5).

I was spiritually non-existent. Nothing. But then God created me.(Ephesians 4:24).

I was blind to spiritual things. God mercifully and sovereignly opened my eyes to see that Jesus is the Christ the Son of the living God (Matthew 16:17).

I was in utter spiritual darkness. And then "God ...shone in my heart to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Christ" (2 Corinthians 4:6).

My mother and my father and many teachers along the way have planted the Word of God and watered it, but it was God alone who did the miracle of giving me spiritual life and making it grow (1 Corinthians 3:6).

I was self-willed, rebellious, proud, going my own way and would never have come to Jesus on my own, and God drew me(John 6:44).

I had no repentance in my heart, no sorrow for my sin or passion to change, but God graciously granted me repentance(2 Timothy 2:25).

I had no faith, no desire to believe, but God, in his great mercy, granted me to believe (Philippians 1:29)

And Peter says, "Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, Who, in His abundant mercy has begotten us again to a living hope, through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead. To an inheritance, incurruptible, undefiled and that can not fade away, which is reserved in heaven for you." (1 Peter 1:3-4)

Peter bursts forth in praise because:

1 God's mercy is abundant and great.
2 God caused us to be born again (made alive) unto hope. (see above list)
3 God raised Jesus from the dead so that our hope is sure, alive, real and forever and ever.
4 God Promised me an inheritance....
5 God keeps that inheritance so that it will never perish, be defiled or fade away

Seeing the work of God,
Feeling the emotional response, (reverence, brokeness, inexpressible joy....)
Bursting forth with adoration.

This is worship!

List of "About Me" scripture passages derived from a sermon by John Piper

1 comment:

Dan Miller said...

really encouraging post--you should have just taught last night!