Sunday, October 02, 2011

Top 10 From Last Week - In Random Order

1) Getting a hold of and beginning a much anticipated book, "Here I Stand" - a biography on the life and work of Martin Luther by Roland Bainton.

2) The radical weather changes that is, Autumn in Wisconsin, afforded us with several early morning to-school drives under heavy bluish-purple storm clouds interspersed with rays of golden-white sunrise bursting through. The contrast was lovely and I greatly enjoyed the audible ooh's and aahs' from the back seat!

3) An email from my pen pal! Yes, I have a pen pal; something I longed for when I was 10 years old, God has given to me now. She lives in my city, goes to my church where we smile and wave at each other - sometimes grabbing bits of conversation, though neither of us finds that public demonstration necessary to fortify our friendship. We have writing, and even there, it is not the frequency of our letters, but the purpose and depth of their sharing. It's something our friendship kind of "fell into", and I am so thankful! This week's letter was like all the others from this friend....convicting, encouraging, transparent and sincere.

4) Having our nephew, Jordan and his sweet girlfriend, Elisa, attend church with us last Sunday. It was such a blessing to catch up with them a bit, introduce them to many of our friends, and sense a steadfast desire for the Lord in these two college freshmen!

5) Mommy/Son date with my big boy, Glendon Peter. We grabbed our favorite warm drinks from Caribou and then headed to cheer on Allie and Olivia (two of my small group girls) at their volley ball game! Go Eagles! G and I enjoyed great conversation on the way down and fun worship on the way back!

6)Acts 2:42-47. I know our Pastor's sermon from this morning is technically part of the new week, but it's Sunday evening and a definite highlight, so I can't NOT include it....
I long and desire and cry out to the Lord to make me a member who participates in/with a church which is motivated by and for the gospel as this passage sets forth.

7)An email from Steve on Tuesday that read, "4 weeks, 2 days." We are unashamedly counting down to a planned get-away to rejoice in the 9 years of marriage God has so graciously given us!

8)Joe and Laurel and Jorja Makovsky - new friends from our ABF who joined us on Friday night for some bonfire fun. We asked how we might pray for their family. They want to love Jesus by seeking and pursuing how He might use them in the life of an orphan! We loved getting to know this family better!

9) Suffering. A new layer and depth of which a sister in Christ was brought into. We have texted, talked, and prayed together. I have wept for her and am so thankful for how God would allow me to see her faith be tested, refined and strengthened. He is showing Himself to be her Trustworthy Redeemer in radical ways!

10)Psalm 59:9-10a,17. A treasure from my personal Bible meditation. When contrasted, these two portions of this psalm show the progression and fruit of true faith. Where there is a watching for - there will be singing. Where there is confident waiting, there will be direct experience. God is our Refuge! After receiving this encouragement in my own walk, I was also given 2 situations where I could share the same treasure with another - all in one day! I love how the Word of Life meets us with what we need, but at the same time enables and prepares us to edify others!

No comments: