Wednesday, October 05, 2011

Wednesday Scoop O'Soup

During the school year, Wednesday nights are soup nights. I make a big batch of something hot, bubbly, and somewhat nutritious (I need more help from my friend, Libby on the nutritious part =). There's salad and bread for the side, making a quick and easy supper before we fly out the door to all that constitutes Wednesday night for the Schulz 5. Most soup recipes run quite large and reheat well, so we always save the leftovers to simmer in the crock pot for Sunday's noon meal...


This week it is White Chicken Chili that awaits our bowls, spoons and tummies...
I still remember the first time I had a taste of this delicious recipe, compliments of my sister in law, Deena. Steve and I had been dating for about 4 months when he invited me to join him and some of his family members for Monday Night Football. Little did I know at the time how much I would come to love Monday night football, though I had a fairly strong inkling that I was head over heels for the guy who invited me...and an instant love of the soup we ate that night!

Nearer the time of our marriage, Deena gifted me with a small cookbook sharing some of her favorite Monday Night recipes. I have been making White Chicken Chili ever since, and treasure still the memories it's warm spicy auroma carries!

White Chicken Chili:

4 C. Chicken Broth. Or one 32 oz box of premade broth.
1 Jar Randall Great White Northern beans drained. If using canned...48oz.
1-2lb Chicken Breast, boiled and cubed. My man likes his meat, so I use 3-4 large chicken breasts.
2 cups salsa any kind. Get picky with your specific "hotness" preference and flavor.
1 Tbl Cumin
Shredded Monterey Jack Cheese (we use any kind)
Crushed tortilla chips

Mix all ingredients except cheese and chips in pot (works well in crock pot too).
Simmer together all day - or until well heated and bubbly.
Top with cheese and chips.
Enjoy!

1 comment:

Jenniffer said...

This is so delicious. We haven't had it for dinner yet, but I had to sneak a taste because it smelled so good! Can't wait to taste it with tortilla chips and cheese. I have Libby's soup up to try this week, too!