Saturday, December 24, 2005

Why He came...

Hello ~

This entry will be merely the musing of a growing daughter of God as she considers what Christmas - the birth of her Lord - is really all about.
Growing up in a Christian home, I have always known that Christmas wasn't all about presents and Santa, but about Christ's birth. I was taught at an early age that He came to eventually die on the cross for our sins and then rise again...conquering death that we might be children of God. I praise God that these truths were in my heart from early on, but I'm excited to realize a new step of faith and understanding this Christmas season - 2005. God is continually teaching me, and this is the newest revelation of His Spirit in mine when it comes to His birth

Isaiah 61:1-3 goes like this:

"The Spirit of the Sovereign LORD is on me,
because the LORD has anointed me to preach good news to the poor.
He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted,
to proclaim freedom for the captives and release from darkness for the prisoners,
to proclaim the year of the LORD's favor and the day of vengeance of our God,
to comfort all who mourn and provide for those who grieve in Zion,
to bestow on them a crown of beauty instead of ashes,
the oil of gladness instead of mourning,
and a garment of praise instead of a spirit of despair.

They will be called oaks of righteousness, a planting of the LORD,
for the display of his glory."

I was intrigued with this passage when I came across it in my readings about a month ago. It 's prophecy of the Lord's coming and I loved the 10 bountiful promises within!!!
Amazingly enough, God took me into a deeper study of this passage through my Ladies Bible study showing me even more beauty to these words.

Luke 4:16-21 depicts a story of Jesus visiting home - Nazareth - probably spending some time with his parents and hometown friends. On the Sabbath day, as was his habit, he went to the local synagogue (typical church service of that day) and stood up to read. The Bible says that He was handed the book of Isaiah, though knowing what I know about my God, this wasn't coincidence. He had a specific message to relay that day.

Jesus choose the spot and read much of the passage above. As his voice resonated throughout the room sounding again the prophecy that was so familiar to those listening, there was something different - something different about his face, his manner that commanded their undivided and enraptured attention. Vs 20 tells us that when he closed the book and sat back down, "every eye was fixed upon Him." Now, I don't know about your church experiences, but I find it's fairly unusual that every eye be fixed upon a Pastor at one time and held there. These people gave their attention because they could not help it.

Jesus then gave this simple and yet world changing statement: "Today, this scripture is fulfilled in your hearing." THAT DAY the promises these people had been clinging to for years were being fulfilled right in front of their eyes. I do not think that all - maybe none - in that congregation were able to grasp and understand the depth of this fact, but I can now -with the Holy Spirit in my heart.

Jesus Christ came to earth - He was born in a manger, but that's not where Christmas stops. We must go deeper. He came to fulfill each of the Isaiah promises and many more. He came to make a way for our broken hearts to be healed...for our bondage to be made freedoms...for our ashes to be made beautiful. All for what??? That we might bring the Father glory!!!

How amazing it must have been to be in that synagogue - to hear from Jesus' own lips exactly why He came. These precious passages have made Christmas deeper in my heart this year as I praise God for His most incredible gift to me....His Love, His Life.
In 90 minutes it will officially be Christmas morning, and I say to you all, "Merry Christmas"!!! May you have an Isaiah 61 Christmas this year!!!

No comments: