Monday, January 30, 2006

Redefining the "Mountaintop Experience"

I just returned from my bi-weekly Beth Moore Ladies Bible study. Tonight was so good as is every video session, but I came away with some distinctly new pearls of truth from God's word.

Beth spoke from Luke 9:28-36...the story of Jesus' transfiguration on the mountain before Peter, John and James. Peter's reponse mirrors what we often do. He wanted to build tabernacles...he wanted to stay there forever. He considered the top of the mountain with Jesus, Moses and Elijah to be better the returning to the valley below, where he would be considered crazy. Among the many lessons we learned tonight, the strongest in my heart is this.

"Our meeting places with Christ are not places that we build tabernacles and stay."

"Any place we see Christ tansfigured can turn out to be the greatest mountaintop experience of our lives."

Jesus says to us: "I take you (Kelly) onto this mountain because of what I will do with you in the valley."

Lord, You are the fullness of all security and mystery. Readjust my vision of you. Make me willing to receive all that you want to reveal of yourself to me. Make me a direct product of knowing you!

3 comments:

Jack-on-the-Lake said...

I wish I was more of fan of Beth Moore studies - I've done two.

So glad you are getting such cool revelations out of it! I need to get back into one...I haven't been in one since we left Cincy.

Anonymous said...

Dan Hasletine of Jars of Clay once said "It's a song about how easy it is to praise God for things like mountains and mountaintop experiences, but we always overlook the creativity and art that [occurs] when we reach the valleys and God actually sculpts us and puts us together and allows us to fall on Him. We kind of neglect that and say, 'God, I'll praise you when you get me through this.'" Very well put in relation to the song "Art in Me" which he wrote and his group recorded. Enjoy! -n

Anonymous said...

Dan Hasletine of Jars of Clay once said "It's a song about how easy it is to praise God for things like mountains and mountaintop experiences, but we always overlook the creativity and art that [occurs] when we reach the valleys and God actually sculpts us and puts us together and allows us to fall on Him. We kind of neglect that and say, 'God, I'll praise you when you get me through this.'" Very well put in relation to the song "Art in Me" which he wrote and his group recorded. Enjoy! -n